There is a lot to do to make sure that your move goes smoothly and no detail is overlooked. Here is a moving checklist to keep you on track.
Choosing a Moving Company
• 2 months before: Research moving companies and schedule estimates with at least 3.
• 1 month before: Choose a moving company. Carefully read over the contract and sign.
• 2 weeks before: Confirm arrangements with moving company.
• 3 days before: Again confirm arrangements with moving company
Sorting Items and Purging
• 2 months before: Start sorting through items. Put unwanted items into piles for Sale, Donation, and Trash.
• 1-2 months before: Hold a garage sale; put more valuable items for sale at online sites.
• 3-4 weeks before: Get rid of all unwanted items that you haven’t gotten rid of yet. Call a charity to come pick them up, give them to friends, or recycle them.
• Immediately: Create a moving folder where you will keep all papers and receipts related to the move.
• 2 months before: Obtain important documents such as birth certificates, medical records, and school records.
• 2 months before: Transfer school records.
• 1-2 months before: Take inventory of belongings. Take photos and write down serial numbers for valuable items.
• 1-2 months before: Determine what moving insurance you need.
• 1-2 months before: Inform utility providers of move. Schedule shut off for 3 days after leaving and schedule for utilities to be turned on in new home.
• 1 month before: Transfer medical records.
• 1 month before: Change banks, if necessary.
• 1 month before: Notify all important parties of the move and your new address.
• 1 month before: If moving to a new state, figure out procedures for changing vehicle registration, insurance, and voter registration.
• 1 week before move: Check with utility providers for shutoff and turn-on in old/new homes.
Change of Address Notifications
• Banks and credit lenders
• Financial service providers (tax assessors, accountants, etc.)
• Medical providers
• Service providers (babysitters, yard care, housekeepers, etc.)
• Utility providers
• Subscription services (magazines, newspapers, etc.)
• Clubs and organizations
• Friends and family
1-2 Months Before:
• Sort through items and make plans to get rid of unwanted items
• Organize home
• Take inventory
• Measure to make sure furniture can get out/in of old/new home
• Make floor plan
• Get list of items which cannot be moved, such as gasoline and paint
• Get packing supplies
• Pack seasonal items
• Pack basement and garage items
• Arrange for vehicle or boat transport if necessary
3-4 Weeks Before:
• Pack items which aren’t used frequently
• Prepare machinery for moving (empty gas and oil, disconnect blades, etc.)
• Have rugs professionally cleaned and packed
• Determine which items you will move in your own vehicle
• Make a plan for moving pets
2-3 Weeks Before:
• Start packing items you don’t use everyday
• Do laundry
• Pack suitcases
• Pack box of essential items you will need right away in new home
• Use up perishable food items and cleaning items
• Dispose of dangerous items like gasoline, bleach, and other items which cannot be moved on the moving truck
• Return all borrowed items like library books
1 Week Before:
• Continue packing
• Make meal plans for the last week in old home and first few days in new home
• Refill any prescriptions which are needed
• Empty safe deposit box
• Defrost freezer at least 2 days before moving
• Collect all keys for your residence
• Quickly pack up bedding; dismantle beds
• Check to make sure that nothing has been left behind
• Supervise movers
First Day Moving In:
• Assemble beds and bedding
• Turn on refrigerator
• Unpack bathroom
• Start unpacking kitchen
• Enjoy your new home!
Remember that the packing process can be a lot easier and faster if you enlist professional help. S & S Moving Company offers full and partial packing services. We can get your entire home packed up in just one day, saving you weeks of chaos. We can also help with unpacking services for local moves in New Orleans. To learn more about our packing and unpacking services, contact us. We will gladly provide you with a free estimate.